ITSP Magazine Chats on the Road to RSAC with Claudia Schabel
On ITSPmagazine’s Road to RSA® Conference 2019 podcast, their guest is Claudia Schabel, President of Schabel Solutions. She joins other industry leaders on the third panel of the day, Monday, March 4th, called “The Who: Is This Responsibility Yours, Mine or Ours? Claudia shares a sneak peek into what she’ll be bringing to the table in this discussion, how her experience as a business owner that provides diversity and Inclusion training for other organizations gives her unique insights, and who should attend this panel.
In this conversation we touch on:
- The assumptions and biases we all have about what what it means to be an American and how those shortcuts in our brains lead us to associate conversations with concepts
- As a woman from Brazil who lived in Japan and now resides in Iowa, Claudia has a unique perspective on the similarities and differences of how different countries and cultures tackle diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Should we be talking about how to fit in and find our place, or about what makes us different?
- Although people have a philosophy, or a mindset, that differences are not good and will cause potential conflict, differences are actually what make problem-solving fun and innovative
- Research from McKinsey (and others) has shown a very direct and tangible correlation between how you treat/include your employees and your business’ bottom line
Kicking off conference week is “Solving Our Cybersecurity Talent Shortage,” an inaugural seminar from creators Karen Worstell, CEO of W Risk Group and founder of MOJO Maker for Women in Tech, and Elaine Marino, CEO of Equili and founder of LadyCoders. It’s at:
Moscone Center on Monday, March 4, from 8am to 12 noon.
This is a 4-hour seminar that’s divided into 4 different panels with an incredible line-up of panelists from major companies who will share their success stories around diversity and the cybersecurity talent shortage.
- Be sure to register for this half-day seminar early, as it is going to fill up fast, and make sure you stay for the whole event as you will have the opportunity to speak to the panelists between sessions for networking/information exchange!
About Claudia Schabel
Claudia Schabel, President of Schabel Solutions, combines over a decade of experience as a Diversity and Inclusion strategist with Fortune 100 and 500 companies with an international multicultural background to offer impactful coaching, training and consulting services in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion and cultural competency to business, educational and not-for-profit organizations.
Schabel actively volunteers her leadership and presentation skills within the community. Currently, Schabel serves as a Commissioner on the City of Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission, the Director of Diversity on Iowa’s Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) State Council, the Advocacy Chair of the Iowa Chapter National Women Business Owner (NAWBO), a board member of Brazilian Cultural Center (BCC) and a trainer/facilitator for the Iowa Network Against Human Trafficking and Slavery.
She also volunteers at Blank Children’s Hospital in Des Moines. Schabel was the recipient of the 2008 Forty Under 40 Business Record Award, the 2010 Robert D. Ray Iowa Latino Ambassador Award and the 2014 Iowa International Center Passport to Prosperity Award.
Schabel lived in Brazil and Japan before relocating to Des Moines, Iowa, where she has lived for nearly two decades. Schabel earned a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations from Drake University.
Find Claudia on LinkedIn.